When a customer buys something from your online store or any other sales channel, it appears as a new order in the Orders page of Shopify.
On this page
What happens when you receive an online order
When you receive an online order:
- You receive a new order notification by email.
- The Orders page of Shopify shows the new order.
- The customer receives an order confirmation email.
- Order processing begins.
What happens when you process a Shopify POS order
When you make a sale in person by using Shopify POS:
- The Orders page of Shopify shows the order with a payment status of Paid or Partially paid.
- If the customer provided their email address, then they receive a POS receipt by email.
Typical processing flow for online orders
Every online order goes through 3 stages. At each stage, a different action is required in Shopify. You can set up Shopify to perform these actions automatically, or you can do them manually:
|Order state||What you need to do|
|1. Order has been placed.||Capture payment.|
|2. Order has been paid.||Fulfill the order.|
|3. Order has been fulfilled and paid.||Archive the order.|
Depending on your own business needs, you can automate some or all your order processing at each stage.
Automate your order processing
If you are selling digital products or using a fulfillment service, then you might want to automate your order processing by turning on the following automations: